You may have heard about the new Data Protection Regulations. These regulations affect all organisations and are being put in place to ensure that you know why data is held about you, as well as your rights to access copies of your data and the right to have your data removed.
The following is the privacy statement designed by DAST so you are aware if you have used our services how we have used and are using your information.
Please let DAST know on 01246 380415 if you have any questions about how we use your data.
Derbyshire Asbestos Support Team (DAST) is committed to ensuring any personal data will be dealt with in line with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) 2018. In compliance with the law, your personal information will be processed lawfully, fairly and confidentially, ensuring your rights and interests are fully considered and protected. The information you give will be stored safely with the appropriate safeguards.
Everyone within the organisation handling data is fully aware of the requirements of the General Data Protection Regulation and acts in accordance with data protection procedures. The “Responsible Person” within the organisation is the Co-ordinator (Joanne Gordon).
DAST will use the information you provide in the legitimate interests of the organisation which is to help and support victims of asbestos-related diseases and their families to access welfare benefits and government compensation through the Department of Work & Pensions (DWP) and to communicate with the appropriate agencies in pursuance of your claim. The lawful basis for doing so is for the purpose of processing your claim, for any future advice you may need and to maintain contact with you via our newsletters and meetings as part of the service and support we provide.
- Where requested, we will pass on to your chosen DAST Panel Solicitor information you have given us in support of your claim.
- The categories of personal data we will require are:
- Your name, address, phone number, date of birth, National Insurance number, the name of your spouse/partner/next of kin and, where appropriate, their age and National Insurance number. Your GP’s name, address & telephone number, details of hospitals attended (name, address), name of Consultant(s) and procedures/examinations/operations at the hospitals, date of diagnosis. Your work history from when you left school and your consent to obtain your work history from HMRC. Bank details so that appropriate agencies can make payments directly into your bank. Your bank details are not retained by DAST.
- We may contact you (via our newsletters or other written information) in connection with events, campaigns, fundraising, gift aid and to support others.
- We may from time to time ask you to speak to the media but we will always request your express consent for this
- We will not disclose your personal information to any other person or organisation except in pursuance of your claim
- Your personal data will be securely retained for a period of 7 years in accordance with the Asbestos Victims Support Groups’ Forum UK (AVSGF-UK) decision. The AVSG Forum UK is an umbrella organisation representing asbestos victims support groups, the main purpose of which is to work collectively to provide one voice for asbestos victims.
- The source of personal data may be received via referrals from health professionals or other agencies, to whom you have given consent to contact us to act on your behalf
Within the General Data Protection Regulation 2018 you have certain rights which are as follows:-
- You have the right to request access to your personal data which will be supplied within 30 days of your request
- You have the right to correct inaccurate personal data
- You have the right to object to processing your personal data
- You have the right to withdraw consent
- You have the right to have your personal data erased
- You have the right to lodge a complaint
- You are not under any contractual obligation to provide your personal data